Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Serendipity

Gloria is a Selma friend who introduced me to Colene last Thursday. We are the same age. She came to NC from Philly to escape her abusive relationship. She had a friend in the area. 

Colene left Pennsylvania with just the clothes on her back. Gloria wanted us to meet so I could use her source for apartments; rent.com. But it got better than that.

When Colene told me her rent in the group home cost $1,700 a month for share a room, I was in shock. "I've got an extra room you can have for a lot less than that," I blurted out.

Immediately, I thought "My family is going to freak out." 

Why did I make such a hasty decision?

  1. My search for a senior apartment was going nowhere.
  2. My son did not want me to live alone.
  3. I could solve Colene's problem and she could be the answer to mine.
So we wouldn't be total strangers, we went to the movies on Sunday. "The House at the End of Oak Street" was a hoot. After leaving the theatre, we went to the new shopping center, then to Walmart. I have every hope that this will work well for both of us.

Two things that made me feel great about Colene is that she loves cats and Scrabble. This arrangement will start in September.





#futureroommate

No comments:

Post a Comment