Thursday, October 8, 2026

Bruised EGO

I've had an EGO leaf blower for a couple of years. Last fall, while it was still under warranty, I had to bring it to the Cleveland Ace Hardware store on two occasions.

A few days ago, I tried to blow all the pine straw from the side yard. In two minutes, it gave a loud, high-pitched shriek and shut itself off. "Here we go again!" I thought.

On Wednesday, I made the half-hour trek to the Cleveland store. The guy behind the counter apologized when he gave me the news that their mechanic was out for the next six weeks. I could bring the unit to Angier or Holly Springs. I reacted with an internal "GRRRRR!"

I then went to Dunn, as usual, to play Scrabble. Filling my car with gas on the way home, I decided that if I were to find the store in Angier, it might be closed by the time I got there.

Today, Thursday morning, I started out with my signals crossed. In the next week or two, I have several doctors' appointments. I drove to Dr. Maithia's office for my 10:00 slot, arriving at a completely empty parking lot, which confirmed my screw-up. Checking my calendar, I saw that my appointment was for 1:10 at the orthopedist.

OK; this gives me ample time to get to Angier. But how do I get to Angier from Smithfield? It took 23 miles of back-road driving to reach downtown Angier. 

I brought the three pieces of equipment to the Angier store clerk. Matt gave me my second bit of bad news.

Angier doesn't have a mechanic any more. The next nearest EGO authorized mechanic is in Holly Springs (wherever THAT is). I just need to wait a bit. (I was just about to growl with displeasure) when Matt said he had to go the Holly Springs store on Monday to drop it off for repair. He said I may hear from Dave of Holly Springs, or Matt might call me with a progress report.

I left, trusting Matt would get me help. I headed back to Smithfield via Route 210 to I-40 to Main Street in Benson. Enjoyed a delicious brunch at the Cornerstone Cafe.

Headed back to Smithfield on I-95. 

Here's what transpired at EmergeOrtho. The surgeon, Dr. Heineman, gave me a few options for my permanently-bent index finger. 1) Do nothing. 2) Have one kind of surgery that didn't sound too promising. 3) I agreed to this option.  I intend to have outpatient surgery to make the messed-up digit straight by inserting a wire and a special screw. Although the procedure is optional, it should end the pain which still bothers me. It will eliminate the knuckle joint (it's gone anyway) and take ten weeks to heal. I should be pain-free when all is said and done. My pre-op appointment is December 1st. The surgery is scheduled for December 24th at the Smithfield Hospital.

I left EmergeOrtho...more driving...reached Selma just in time to catch the last half-hour of my weekly writer's fix  (Telling Our Stories).  

Then...more driving.... I took I-95 South just in time for my 3:30 time slot to donate blood at the American Legion. Success! Naturally, I had a few treats after the donation.

Finally - home at last!

What a day! 

Guess what's for dinner? More spaghetti and meatballs. I'll try not to feed the whole living room (and Tulip) tonight. At least I don't have to deal with the splint any longer (until Christmas Eve).

PS - I got a call from the Holly Springs store... Dave is securing a replacement leaf blower for me. I hope I can pick it up in Benson, but have to wait until I hear from him tomorrow. Finally - hope/holly springs eternal!


#Tulipsmomisdrivennuts

#busybusyday

#EGOpendingrepair




No comments:

Post a Comment